Thursday, September 29, 2011

Denver.... and then a new stop!

Good day... good day indeed.  I have been traveling with my crew for a week and a half and it has been great.  The weather here in the mountains has been perfect!  I realized I've never been in Colorado in the fall when the leaves start changing.  In fact, since our first drive up through Rabbit Ears Pass en route to Steamboat, the leaves of the Aspen trees have burst into an intense spray of yellow across the mountains.  Add the pure beauty of the Rocky Mountains and the views are striking to say the least!!

The shows have been great.  Mostly I've played House Concerts and Backyard Concerts!  Starting last week I played a cozy living room of a house tucked up in the mountains above Evergreen.  The view was stunning and the folks were tremendously nice.  Thank you Tom and Monica for a great evening or laughs and music!  I had an opener that night- a couple of young fellers- Jake and John- played and sang some songs they wrote.  Still in high school and writing killer songs!!  It was a tough act to follow but I did my best and then invited them up to sing a song with me at the end!



From Evergreen it was through the tunnel (the long tunnel on I-70 when you really get into the mountains) to Dillon, CO for a House Party... Backyard Bash... at the Kaskey's house.  They just moved in so it was kind of a House Warming Party.  We went late into the night- it got chilly out there but I had a ginormous heater keeping me nice and toasty.  I had a few more guest stars including a kid from the Lake Geneva area.  His father was actually Nicole's (that's Fairchild to you and me) Math teacher at Walworth Middle School- a few years back! Mr. Schroeder!  What a small world... they chatted it up for quite a while!  Being from the Chuck's neighborhood he requested the song by the same name!
I had to plead... just a little... to get the host of the party, Curt, to come up and join me on Summer in Chicago-
What a fun night it was until I woke up to the sounds of a fight... a fight that sounded like it was between a dude and his car?!?!  I'm not sure what happened and I think it's better left un-investigated!


In Steamboat Springs I played the Ghost Ranch- a great club and a Backyard Party that was the after party of the Steamboat Springs Cornhole Association Tailgate Classic!  It's the final tournament of the Association season... with a great Crystal Cup trophy.  Fairchild and I were invited to be a part of the tourney and we were set on taking the Cup home... to let JJ have as her new home!  JJ... if you don't know is the Fish (aka - Merch Man) that is along on this tour!  Alas, we got smoked.  We lost our first match and were sent to the losers bracket where we promptly lost again.  It worked out just fine because then I was able to watch the Lions beat the Vikings!  I am still... after many many many hard years... a Lions Fan!  :)

Our hosts- Brian and Nikki Smith won the tournament and took the Cup home... after a little Stanley Cup like celebration!  I, on the other hand, had to taste the bitter taste of DEFEAT!

After a glorious day in Steamboat Springs we spent a night way up in the mountains- very near THE Rabbit Ears that the pass gets it's name from.  It was so peaceful and dark and quiet and cold.  The stars were beautiful.


We stopped for another House Concert in Silverthorne, CO- thanks Joanne!!  Joanne is the Coroner in the county and has many great stories to tell- I'm not sure if I was the show or if she was!! :)

Now we're in Denver- at the Flying Saucer RV Park- an interesting place.  I have a show on the roof of the Denver Athletic Club this evening.  It should be another great time with old friends and new!  Then the RV Madison pulls out of Denver ... next stop Oklahoma!

Take 'er Easy!
HIMEBAUGH